from Hydrothermic Remedies...
Any cold applications makes pleurisy worse
- Heavy Fomentation to chest, well down under arms, 20min, repeat 3x, then finish with a warm Shower. NO COLD
- Heating Compress to chest, cover with long-sleeved shirt, at night
- If patient does not respond, especially elderly, search for underlying pneumonia, pulmonary embolism, tuberculosis or cancer.
from Dr JH Kellogg's Prescriptions...
- Improve resistance by Graduated Tonic Cold 2-3x a day
- Leg Bath if extremities are cold
- Water Drinking and Aseptic Diet
- Neutral Tub Bath at night 3x a week, 20-30min
- Graduated Tonic Cold daily
- Fomentations to chest 3x a day or Revulsive Douche or Revulsive Compress with protected Heating Compress in interval
- Aseptic Diet
- Calisthenics to expand chest and prevent adhesions
from Dr GK Abbott's Prescriptions...
Empyema of the pleura is only treated surgically
Acute Stage: at first indication
Depletion by heat alone:
- large, very hot Fomentations over chest - no cold between may need up to 5 changes until pain completely relieved. If only one side must cover spine to sternum
After 3 treatments:
- treatment as above in morning with...
- Scotch Compress (cold remaining until warm) then next
- Fomentation in the afternoon
After acute stage (and pain) is passed:
- begin by heating with Hot Foot Bath or Fomentations to chest then
- Alternate Douche to back, front and sides of chest WITHOUT percussion or pressure or following massage (any vibration, even in a car, can cause recurrence)
- with - Alternate Foot Douche or Alternate Foot Bath
For diaphragmatic pleurisy:
- Fomentations from nipples to navel and down sides of chest
- followed by Heating Compress to same area