from Hydrothermic Remedies...
Infection or irritation of airways in the lungs. Usually occurs after a cold
- General Measures
- Fomentations to chest and back followed by Cold Mitten Friction every 2 hours
- Heating Chest Pack at night
- At bedtime Hot Tub Bath 10 min followed by a Neutral Tub Bath 20 min.
- Drink lots of water
- Hot Foot Bath combined with Fomentation
- Wet Sheet Pack
- Avoid drugs
- Hot and Cold Lung Compress
- Deep breathing exercises 4 times a day
- Avoid cigarettes - almost all bronchitis is due to either smoke or fume inhalation
from Dr GK Abbott's Prescriptions...
see Chronic Bronchitis for chronic cases
- Dry Cough, no sputum, difficult breathing - due to intense congestion with swelling of irritated dry membranes, making gas exchange difficult. No expectoration "tight"
- More severe cough, occasionally some pain, thick tenacious mucous with leucocytes, expectorated in small quantities
- Loose cough, abundant, thin, frothy, purulent sputum, easily expectorated. "loosened"
Stages 1 and 2 last hours to days. Recovery begins at stage 3. Treatment aims to hasten these changes and mitigate symptoms:
To moisten secretions, relieve pain and make breathing easier:-
- Moist heat
- continued until symptoms relieved
- dilates blood vessels and stimulates mucous gland activity
- Fomentations to chest and throat, hot trunk pack
- Steam Inhalation
- Hot Water Drinking
- heating Chest Pack or Throat Compress
- Diaphoretics especially Russian Bath
Then mild Tonics to promote resolution, absorb exudate and prevent further excessive secretion. By stimulating circulation, decreasing congestion, stimulating deep respiration and increasing gas exchange.
or in the vigorous