Dr Kellogg says...
The higher the temperature the longer must be the duration and the greater the pressure required to produce decided tonic effects. p438
...the douche is the most powerful and valuable of all tonic measures. There is no drug known to man that is possessed of such marvellous renovating and permanently restorative properties.
from Dr JH Kellogg's Hydriatic Techniques...
- 15, 10-20°C 4-30sec 10-40lbs
- Powerful Tonic - immediate vigorous reaction
- Preliminary heating Shower or Fan Douche 40-48°C
- First treatment: 25°C 3sec 10 lbs., gradually increase
- for more painful or neurological disorders see Fan Douche
Final Tonic in Graduated Tonic Cold
Used in chronic:
- Drug Addictions
- Cardiac Insufficiency
- Acute Nephritis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Anaesthesia - 10-30sec
- Hyperaesthesia - to opposite side of body and simultaneous hot douche to affected side. eg for H. of right leg: Cold to left, hot to right.
- Aphonia - general douche with simultaneous Ice Bag to throat
- Paralysis -
Contra-indications... (ie over the relevant reflex areas)
- acute Inflammations - will cause congestion. Especially in:
- some chronic Inflammations especially
- Circulatory Dysfunctions especially:
- Painful nervous diseases especially:
- Skin conditions:-
- Haemorrhages or tendency to, as in