Alternate Hot and Cold Shower
from Hydrothermic Remedies...
Water: Begin at 38°C, tolerance at 43°C Neutral at 34-36°C
A shower that uses abrupt changes from hot to cold.
- Vigorous tonic
- Superficial hyperemia
- Stimulates metabolism
- As a refresher after a local or general applications of heat.
- Debility from sedentary lifestyle.
- To relieve Fatigue
- Heart Diseases
- Kidney Failure
- Severe Arteriosclerosis
- Hyperthyroidism or exophthalmic goiter/goitre
- Nervous System Irritability
- Hot spray should not be directed over the area of Varicose Veins
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Stool - non-rust
- Shower cap
- Rubber mat on floor a shower so patient doesn't slip.
Preparation for Treatment
- Turn on shower and adjust to proper temperature.
- Make sure patient's feet are warm before entering shower.
- Use shower cap if patient wishes.
- Have stool on hand in case patient becomes faint.
- Have patient get into shower.
- Begin at 38 °C and quickly increase temperature to 43 - 44 °C (or tolerance).
- Continue at this point for 1 minute.
- Turn off hot tap to quickly lower temperature to 16-30°C for 2-15 seconds
- Reverse again to hot for about 1 minute and followed by cold for 2 to 15 seconds for two more times (total of three complete changes) ending on the fourth hot.
- Gradually lower to neutral (36°C) for 2 minutes.
Completion of Treatment
- Dry vigorously with friction