Very Hot Sitz
from Hydrothermic Remedies...
The sitz bath is an immersion bath in which the patient sits in water of appropriate temperature while keeping his feet in a hot tub bath.
Very Hot Sitz Bath: 41-44°C, 3-8 minutes. Foot Bath: 43-44°C
- Acute Pelvic Pain and Pelvic Neuralgia such as vaginismus; uterine colic; kidney Colic; Sciatica; Neuralgia of ovaries, testicles and bladder
- Pelvic Inflammation
- Difficulty urinating
- Bath Thermometer
- Wash tub and wood blocks
- Foot tub (2 if doing the alternate hot and cold)
- Lightweight blanket
- Basin of ice water and compress
- 3 or 4 bath towels
- Tea Kettle of boiling water
- May cause fainting - watch carefully
Preparation for Treatment
- Keep room free from drafts
- Assemble equipment
- Place towel under buttocks and knees, also behind back to protect from tub.
- Very Hot Sitz Bath: 41-44°C, 3-8 minutes. Foot Bath: 43-44°C
- Place sufficient water in the tub to cover hips and reach abdomen.
- Foot Bath should be several degrees hotter than the sitz bath.
- Place cold compress on the head and neck during the hot sitz bath.
- Conclude the hot sitz bath by cooling water to neutral, or pouring cold water over the hips.
Completion of Treatment
- Make sure the patient is warm and dry.
- Allow to rest for 20 minutes.
Modified sitz bath
The ordinary bath tub may be used with the patient sitting in the water with the knees bent.
from Dr JH Kellogg's Hydriatic Techniques...
Begin at 36°C rapidly add hot water to 41-49°C 3-10min.
Hot Foot Bath 44-49°C follow with short cold. Used in :-
- Non-inflammatory Pelvic Pain and Involuntary Spasms of pelvis and lower abdomen in
- Inflammatory pain, Pelvic Neuritis and Visceral Congestion - NO chill, cool skin gradually with pour or spray to hips 27°C, 5min or 5°C 5sec
- Alternate Baths
- Alternate Foot Bath
- Alternate Sitz
- Arm Bath
- Cold Foot Bath
- Cold Local Bath
- Cold Rubbing Sitz
- Cold Sitz Bath
- Elbow Bath
- Flowing Foot Bath
- Hot Half Bath
- Hand Bath
- Hot Foot Bath
- Hot Local Bath
- Leg Bath
- Neutral Sitz
- Partial Continuous Bath
- Prolonged Cold Sitz
- Revulsive Sitz
- Shallow Foot Bath
- Sitz Bath
- Starch Bath
- Very Hot Sitz