from Dr GK Abbott's Prescriptions...
In the Acute Stage:
- bed rest
- Therapeutic Fever
- cover joint with thick flannel then pack with crushed ice or
- surround by Ice Bag - 30-60min or until numb - but NOT freezing
- the more acute the inflammation the greater the total duration 2-3x daily, can treat 2-3 joints at a time.
- with simultaneous Hot Foot Bath, Hot Water Bottle or
- Fomentations to other parts
- replace ice if severe inflammation
- ordinarily interval Joint Compress
after these treatments, create reaction by :
- 2-6 changes of Alternate Foot Bath or according to part or
- interval Joint Compress
After first day use local heat, up to 3 joints at a time, 2x a day, heat must be extreme and prolonged...
- Heating Compress
- Hot Air Bath
- Electric Light Bath or infrared lamp
- compress with gauze soaked in oil of wintergreen diluted with two parts of eucalyptus oil
any of the above finished with Cold Mitten Friction
When inflammation somewhat subsided for hands, wrists, ankles or feet use extreme:
In the Chronic Stage: