Galvanic Tub Bath
from Dr GK Abbott's Prescriptions...
For general procedure see Neutral Electric Baths
A dangerous bath, burns occur easily, use other methods if possible.
- 10-15min, 20-35milliamps - not high enough to cause unpleasant sensation. Use higher amps on obese patients or in saline baths.
- Ensure current is switched on only after the patient is in the tub. Shock WILL occur if current is on as patient steps into or out of the tub.
- Always ascertain polarity before the bath by placing electrodes 3cm apart in the water. Turn on the current. The negative pole has larger more numerous bubbles.
- The positive pole is always placed at the head, dipping into the water under the pillow.
- The negative pole is at the feet.
- Ensure the electrodes do not come into contact with the skin.