Cold Sitz Bath
from Hydrothermic Remedies...
15, 13-18°C use only on the moderately vigorous
Cold Sitz 13- 24°C, Foot Bath 41-43°C
Contracts blood Vessels for:-
Stimulates Muscles Contraction for:
The sitz bath is an immersion bath in which the patient sits in water of appropriate temperature while keeping his feet in a hot tub bath.
- Cold sitz is used only for Chronic conditions as it stimulates contraction of pelvic blood vessels, uterus and bowel musculature.
- Acute Pelvic Inflammation or Acute Visceral Congestion, such as Colitis, Appendicitis, Enteritis, etc.
- Acute Pelvic Pain such as Cystitis, Prostatitis
- Heart Disease
- Bath Thermometer
- Wash tub and wood blocks
- Foot tub (2 if doing the alternate hot and cold)
- Lightweight blanket
- Basin of ice water and compress
- 3 or 4 bath towels
- Tea Kettle of boiling water
- May cause fainting - watch carefully
Preparation for Treatment
- Keep room free from drafts
- Assemble equipment
- Place towel under buttocks and knees, also behind back to protect from tub.
- Cold Sitz Bath: 12-24°C, 3-8 minutes. Foot Bath: 41-43°C
- Place sufficient water in the tub to cover hips and reach abdomen.
Completion of Treatment
- Make sure the patient is warm and dry.
- Allow to rest for 20 minutes.
Modified sitz bath
The ordinary bath tub may be used with the patient sitting in the water with the knees bent.
from Dr JH Kellogg's Hydriatic Techniques...
13-18°C 30sec-2min in
10-20°C 5-8min - alternate with Sweating Treatments in
20-26°C 10-20min in
- Cerebral Congestion
- Hepatic Congestion
- Splenic Congestion and enlargement in Malaria
- chronic Uterine Displacements
- chronic Prostatitis
- Chronic Gonorrhoea
from Dr GK Abbott's Prescriptions...
- Brief 2-4min - stimulates pelvic circulation and muscles
- 18-25°C, Hot Foot Bath 40-43°C
- rub hips with hand or mitts
- Alternate Baths
- Alternate Foot Bath
- Alternate Sitz
- Arm Bath
- Cold Foot Bath
- Cold Local Bath
- Cold Rubbing Sitz
- Cold Sitz Bath
- Elbow Bath
- Flowing Foot Bath
- Hot Half Bath
- Hand Bath
- Hot Foot Bath
- Hot Local Bath
- Leg Bath
- Neutral Sitz
- Partial Continuous Bath
- Prolonged Cold Sitz
- Revulsive Sitz
- Shallow Foot Bath
- Sitz Bath
- Starch Bath
- Very Hot Sitz